Monday, September 9, 2019

Topic Research: A New Kind of Hell

For my storybook project, I've decided to stick with my recreation of the nine circles of hell from Dante's Inferno. While there isn't really a way to condense all nine circles into one storybook, I think I could successfully reshape the first three circles while incorporating characters from stories I read throughout the semester.

#1: Limbo
While I understand why Dante added this opening circle of hell for virtuous non-Christians and pagans, I have to find a way to add my own twist to the story. Therefore, I want to remove all religious aspects from this tale; I want my storybook to be about the stories. I think I would make this first circle for people who were misguided by their own arrogance.
#2: Lust
I actually think lust would be a good second circle of hell because, while it isn't a serious offense, Dante understands how easily each and every individual can be strayed by it. However, one way I could alter the story is by incorporating more modern characters. This circle definitely applies to characters similar to Cleopatra and Helen of Troy; I just have to find them as I continue with my readings throughout the semester.
#3: Gluttony
This circle is chosen for gluttons, but I'm thinking about readjusting it to instead focus on those who are untruthful. This could apply to a wide range of characters, which is something I will have to narrow down as the semester progresses and I dive into more readings.

Sandro Botticelli - La Carte de l'Enfer.jpg
A depiction of the 9 layers of hell courtesy of Sandro Boticelli.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...