Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Reading Notes: The Gospel of Mark, Part A

Story source: Gospel of Mark, King James Bible (1611).

This week of reading is a rather special one for me. A little insight: both of my parents grew up as Christians but strayed away from the religion as they got older. However, they always gave me the freedom to decide for myself what I believe in, and I grew up going to church occasionally with some of my best friends. While I do consider myself a Christian, I do not relate to any denomination in particular mainly because I was never fully immersed in the religion. I have also read parts of the Bible but never read it all the way through, which compelled me to read the Gospel of Mark for the first time.

While I knew several aspects of the Gospel of Mark beforehand, such as the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, there were also several parts of the story that I had never read about. I learned a lot about the path Jesus takes upon being announced as the Messiah, from teaching his disciples to the obstacles he has to overcome. One theme that is apparent throughout the Bible and this text is the idea of unwavering faith and acting upon it. Once Jesus is announced as the Son of God, he works to help people's illnesses, starvation, and more. While the idea of performing good deeds as repayment to God obviously is not transcendent across society, the idea of doing good out of the moral kindness is, and I think that's something I could touch on when writing my story later this week.

File:Leonardo da Vinci - The Last Supper high res.jpg
Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...