Thursday, August 22, 2019

An Introduction to My Past, Present, and Future

My name is Sam Brown, and I am a senior at the University of Oklahoma from Plano, Texas. I'd consider myself fairly unique as one of the few French-American students on campus; my mother is from the central part of France, while my dad's hometown of Edmond is quite a bit closer. I was actually born in Paris, France, but when I was about four months old, my family moved to the Dallas area, where I spent all of my childhood. I have one brother named Thomas, who is 16. I also have a boxer named Suri and a cat named Penny Lane, both of which we adopted from shelters.
Sports have always been and will always be a part of my identity. I've played soccer since I was a kid and still play on the club team here at OU, but I also played everything from football to cross-country growing up. Not only did I love competing in sports, but I also loved watching and studying them. I was the kind of kid who would eat through season preview books memorizing stats and key names. As a result, my mom joked one time that I should be a sports broadcaster because it combined my three favorite things: sports, TV, and being the center of attention. Fast forward to now, and I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else.

A picture of me celebrating a goal with my teammates from my senior year of high school in Plano, TX.

I am a broadcast journalism major here at OU, and I love every bit of it. I'm extremely lucky to have so many opportunities at Gaylord College to go cover news and sports events. I've been covering the football team for about a year and a half now, which has allowed me to travel to some really cool places. I've been involved with all of our student-run television shows and even had a chance to start a radio show with a few friends of mine. My favorite part of being a journalism student, however, has to be one of our shows called Sooner Sports Pad. This show is the only one of its kind in the country, and it is broadcast live to millions of homes on Fox Sports Oklahoma. I've been involved with it since my freshman year, but I've been an analyst on the show since January. I love how high-energy the show is, and it's always a blast interacting with the athletes that come as guests on the set.

A picture of myself and two of my friends right before the start of Sooner Sports Pad.

Despite what it seems, I actually do have a life outside of Gaylord. Like I mentioned earlier, I've been a part of the club soccer team since I started college. I'm also a huge fan of movies, and me and my roommates go to the Warren at least once a month.

15 comments:

  1. Hey Sam! That is so cool that you are a French-American student here at OU! I really like the way you structured your introduction post in the past, present and future timeline, that is a really good idea. It is also awesome you are a member of the Sooner Sports Pad team! I know a lot of people that watch your program regularly. I also find myself at The Warren at least once a month, maybe we will run into each other sometime.
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yay for French-American identity, Sam! And of course soccer is one of those meeting grounds for France and the U.S. and all the countries of the world that play this global sport. Being part of Sooner Sports Pad sounds very cool, and telling stories through sports, helping athletes and fans and everybody connect through those stories, is a powerful skill to have. I hope this class can give you some ways to experiment with different kinds of storytelling skills... you never know what might click for you and give you new insights into the sports stories that you will be telling too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you, Sam!
    That is so fascinating that you were born in Paris, France! It is quite the move to go from there all the way to Texas. I actually have not ever been the biggest soccer fan just because I have never taken the time to learn the sport, but it seems rather interesting! It is nice to hear that you have found your passion in sports broadcast, you definitely have a background in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sam!
    I thought it was awesome reading how your mom knew exactly what she thought you'd be perfect at, and fast forward to now, and you are majoring in Broadcast Journalism. I can't imagine how cool it must be to have been born in Paris. That is a place where I have always wanted to visit! It seems like you've lived a really awesome life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great introduction Sam,
    That is so cool that you are French-American! I am also a huge sports fan but my major does not include sports at all, very jealous. I am aware of how unique and professional OU's Gaylord program is. I know many of the students who participate in the program and it has shown to be a huge part of all of their lives. I wish you the best with the remainder of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sam!
    That's really cool that you're a French-American! As I was reading your intro I thought that was a major at first but then I saw that you said you were part of the Gaylord college! Anyways, it's pretty neat that you play club soccer and I am looking to reading your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! That is so cool that you were born in Paris, France! I have dreamed of going there since I was a little kid. I am so jealous of you! Do you get to visit often? If so, what are some places you would recommend? I plan to go there for my graduation trip this summer! Also, I think broadcasting and journalism are great majors, and I have always been intrigued by people with that major since I am never good at public speaking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sam! I love that you hold your French-American Identity in such high esteem. I too am a Gaylord student so I understand how time consuming it can be. I think Sooner Sports Pad is such a well run program and ive loved the times i have been able to be in the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sam, it's nice to meet you!

    It's so cool that you're French-American -- actually, I'm a French major here, so it's particularly cool to me. :) Are you bilingual? It's also really awesome that you've been able to take up so many of the opportunities here at OU that relate to your career goals! Best of luck moving forward with the semester and with life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sam! It's so awesome to meet someone who was born in another country. I myself was born in Chennai, India! I'm sure you get this often, but I've always wanted to travel to France. My parents also recently moved to the Plano area so I find myself driving down there pretty often. It's really cool that you've gotten so many opportunities to develop your passion for sports journalism at OU!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sam, it is nice to meet you!! To start, it is so cool that you are French-American--I assume you can speak French?? I also love sports and watching them, but I think I would be too scared to be on TV talking about them in front of so many people. Maybe I will see you on TV sometime in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sam! I think it's so cool that you're French-American and were born in Paris! I'm sure you hear this a lot, but I've always wanted to see Paris. I see all these pictures all the time of the landmarks there and the city, and it looks so beautiful! As for your major, I'm glad you've found a career that you love and want to work towards. Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sam,

    What an insightful introduction! Thank you for sharing your passions with us, it was easy to tell that you love what you do. I am also in Gaylord College and would have to agree that the opportunities provided to us are fantastic. I love the part that you added to the end as well, as it provided a fun and personal touch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sam! Thank you for sharing with us! I think it is awesome that you were born in Paris. I have always wanted to visit! Congrats on finding a major that fulfills all of your interests. I think it’s great that you have experienced so many cool opportunities through your major and I wish the best for your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Sam! Nice to meet you! That is so cool that you are on the OU club soccer team! While I am more of a tennis player, I really enjoy watching soccer. My favorite team is Arsenal. Perhaps you can share your favorite club! That is cool that you are French-American. Can you speak French? I also wanted to learn the langauge. Good luck this semester. !

    ReplyDelete

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...