Thursday, August 22, 2019

Growth Mindset in the Real World

I had never heard of Carol Dweck or the idea of growth mindset before this assignment, but I've always enjoyed watching TEDTalks, so I was immediately interested by what she had to say. I definitely felt like I could relate growth mindset to my development in several aspects of my life. Academically, my parents set a high standard from the very start and, for the most part, I met that standard. However, once I got to college, I realized that I maintained that same standard for my grades despite an even bigger workload outside of my classes. I also related to the idea that kids should want to be challenged, should want to be smarter. When I played soccer in high school, I wanted to get better each and every practice, and that competitive side of me carried over into the classroom.
I think that since I've been at OU, I've definitely seen my learning style change. In high school, I used to study with friends all the time. In college, however, I realized that being in big groups ended up distracting me more than anything. I also think I've become more productive in how I go about completing my assignments. While in the past, I used to trudge through individual assignments one at a time, I've learned that if I work on one assignment for a little bit and then switch to another, I end up getting more done.
I'm definitely looking forward to learning more about growth mindset as the semester goes on because I think that it is designed to get students out of their comfort zone. Taking this class was definitely a little out of my comfort zone, so it'll be interesting to see how my mindset develops during the semester.

How I felt going through this assignment:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...