Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Storybook Favorites

Storybook 1: The Adventures of Merlin

As soon as the storybook loaded, the design immediately stood out to me. I really liked the background picture on the home page, and the background photo on each page is original and relevant to the actual story. Furthermore, the menu bar made it very easy to go from page to page. I already knew who Merlin was, but I did not know nearly as much about his historical relevance. I do feel like I learned more about him from this storybook, though. Every story was well written, and the author's note at the bottom of the page added some good insight on characters or historical context that I didn't understand.

Finistère, Sea, Brittany, France, Side, Water
A seaside shot in France from the storybook's Introduction post.

Storybook 2: Hades' Iliad

Just like the first storybook, the design of this one immediately caught my eye. While the first one was serene and represented the beauty of nature, this website was a total contrast of that. The background pictures are paintings from various European artists depicting scenes from classic Greek mythology. That immediately appealed to me because I've always been interested in Greek mythology. I was one of those kids who read every single Percy Jackson book. I think I might even have my storybook revolve around some aspect of Greek mythology. While the first storybook consisted of several individual tales, this one is a full story composed of several chapters, which I actually really liked. While there were some writing and grammar mistakes, I definitely enjoyed the story as a whole.

File:Menelaus Holding the Body of Patroclus.jpg
A picture depicting the engraving of the Greek King Menelaus from Chapter 2 of the storybook.
Storybook 3: Love and Loss in Vietnam

When it comes to the design, this storybook resembled the first one much more than the second one. The background pictures have very soothing colors and include several great shots from parts of Vietnam as well. To be honest, I chose this topic because I do not know much about Vietnamese culture and history. It hasn't really interested me in the past, but I thought this would be a chance to learn more about the culture. I quickly became interested in each of the plot of the story. The idea of sending someone from heaven down to Earth as punishment is really original, and I really liked how the author dedicated a chapter to the new life of each of the two torn lovers. The language was definitely informal, but it honestly played off really well. I'm definitely glad I chose this storybook because I learned much more about the country's culture and theology.

Beautiful, Beach, Vietnam, Water, Stones, Long Exposure
A shot of a Vietnamese beach found in the "Origins of Vietnam" story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...