Sunday, September 8, 2019

Feedback Strategies: The Right Way to Help

Through playing sports, I've learned the importance of being coachable and accepting feedback when you need it. However, I think it is just as critical to be able to give feedback in an appropriate manner. I think I have been good at giving feedback because I've gained experience in a few leadership positions, but this assignment gave me the chance to refine some areas where I need to improve.
First, I read Adam Grant's "How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk". I think I can come across as harsh at times when giving feedback just because of my cynic personality. This article gave me some great insight on how to present my feedback in a positive manner. For example, Grant writes about how it is important to step off our pedestal when giving feedback. Instead of just being someone who critiques a colleague, I can instead present myself as someone who has received feedback in similar situations and could perhaps offer a different point of view.
The second article I read was "The Trouble with 'Amazing': Giving Praise that Matters" by Jennifer Gonzalez. I definitely feel like I related to this article as someone whose parents always had high expectations and, as a result, did not just hand out praise. I think Gonzalez makes a great point about how pointless praise really doesn't help much. The reference to "Paula praise" from American Idol that she mentioned is a perfect representation of feedback that is rather useless. I haven't really thought about the idea that this sort of praise is centered around the person rather than the effort, though. It's a little nit-picky, but it is also evident in some of the wording that people use. There's a slight, yet significant difference between "you're great" and "that was great".
Feedback, Review, Gut, Bad, Satisfactory, Positive
Just because feedback is constructive does not mean it has to be negative!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...