Thursday, September 5, 2019

Reading Notes: Homer's Iliad, Part B

Story source: The Iliad retold by Alfred J. Church (1907).

The first thing that stood out to me when I read the second part of the Iliad readings was the appearance of Achilles in the story. I was immediately drawn into the story because I knew about Achilles' role in Greek mythology (fun fact: I suffered a bad ankle injury my junior year of high school, and the doctor told me I nearly tore my Achilles tendon as well). However, I had no idea he was in the Iliad. I was very intrigued by his relationship with Patroclus, who dies at the hands of Hector. The title, "The Rousing of Achilles" is very foreshadowing of what might happen later in the story.
I absolutely loved reading "The Slaying of Hector". This part of the story is jam-packed with action and ends, just as the title and the foreshadowing indicates, in Achilles killing Hector. Homer includes several similes throughout this chapter, including one where he describes the fury in which Achilles ran back to the battle as "swift as a racehorse". Homer also incorporates Apollo, who assists Hector in his escape, and Athena, who takes the shape of another figure and tricks Hector, into his story. I thought it was particularly interesting that Homer chose to have Hector run away from Achilles rather than fight him. While he concludes that this must be his fate, just as he told Andromache earlier in the story, it does seem a bit odd that he cowered so easily. I think it could be interesting to write a story while adding a twist where Hector does in fact stand up to Achilles. There's several different ways that could end.
I also wrote in my last blog about the love that Hector and Andromache share for each other. I thought it was interesting that Homer would include Andromache seeing Hector's dead body being dragged by the ships. The utter sadness she feels in that moment is also a sign a foreshadowing from when she was torn apart about him going back into the battle. The end of the Iliad texts reinforced the idea that I could potentially write the story from the perspective of Andromache.

File:Peter Paul Rubens - Achilles slays Hector.jpg
A painting by Peter Paul Rubens depicting Hector's death at the hands of Achilles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...