Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Reading Notes: Aesop's Fables, Part A

Story source: Aesop's Fables (English).

I'm not going to lie: I've been looking forward to this unit for a few weeks now. The last few reading units have all been really interesting, but they weren't really topics I knew much about. It was a little hard understanding some of the stories at times, so it was nice to go back to something I was somewhat familiar with. It was really refreshing going through some of the fables for the first time in years. There were a lot of them that I had not read before, but many of the trends from those I knew carried over to these. It may just be that the last time I read these was middle school, but the language was particularly confusing for some reason. Classical and Middle Age English has always been difficult for me to sort at times, so this was definitely an interesting challenge. I think these stories also revealed the role that historical context plays in the plot. Aesop is believed to have written these stories in Ancient Greek times, and that shows when you read fables like the ones from "The Gods". When I write my story later this week, I'll have to keep length in mind. Aesop manages to get his theme across in every fable, often in 16 lines or less. That succinctness is a defining aspect of his storytelling, and it's definitely something I want to incorporate in mine.

Apollo and Jupiter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...