Thursday, October 3, 2019

Week 7 Reading Notes: The Monkey King Part B

Story source: "The Ape Sun Wu Kung" in The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

The Monkey King was another story that I had no prior knowledge of, and I've gotta say, this protagonist is much different from those I've read this semester. Sun Wu Kung seems like your average happy-go-lucky guy, except for the part where he can turn into "a figure with three heads and six arms". That's a little terrifying. He's a hero who loves a challenge, and somehow he always seems to come out on top ... until the Buddha traps him under a mountain. That was definitely a twist that I was not expecting, but it's quite understandable that he was overmatched by the Buddha. I think the hubris that he suffers from is something that can be seen across several readings from this course, and it could be something I incorporate into my story.

This writing placed a heavy emphasis on shapeshifting, whether it was for the purpose of fighting, deceiving, or something else. That aspect of the story is so effective because of how descriptive the author is. That's definitely a challenge for me since I struggle with creative writing, but I think that reading these also gave me some ideas that I'm hoping to add to my next story.
File:Sun Wukong and Jade Rabbit.jpg
Sun Wu Kung and Jade Rabbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...