Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Reading Notes: Raja Rasalu, Part A

Story source: Tales of the Punjab by Flora Annie Steel, with illustrations by J. Lockwood Kipling (1894).

This week of readings is different from those to this point because I went in with no preconceived knowledge about this topic. It helped in some ways because I went in with such an open mind, but I definitely had to work a little harder to go through and comprehend all the readings.

The biggest reason for that is some of the language used in the stories. While the readings to this point had adaptations with more current language, the wording was clearly a little older and more difficult to understand. With that being said, I think I could turn some of these stories into a more 21st-century tale. The tales are also very unique in that they combine some parts of prose with some of poetry. This would definitely be an element worth keeping in mind when I write my story later this week.

I also think Raja Rasula is unique from some of the protagonists in that he's more independent as a hero. For example, Hector has a trusty sidekick in Paris, but when Raja Rasula shows his friends the creature that he killed while keeping guard overnight in "How Raja Rasula's Friends Forsook Him", they beg him for permission to return home. This protagonist is a hero capable of, and seemingly fine with, taking care of dangers to his people on his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...