Thursday, October 31, 2019

Reading Notes: Hero Tales, Part B

Story source: Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson (1929).

The first reading of this part of the unit, Lodge-Boy and Thrown-Away, really caught my eye because it was, to an extent, one story. However, there are several individual stories that lie within this one project. The story begins with how the two twin brothers were separated at birth but then eventually reunited by their father. The mini-stories follow the same sort of pattern: the father warns them about a certain danger, the boys don't listen to him and go head first into the fire, and somehow they manage to escape unscathed. The boys themselves are rather intuitive but are also a little arrogant, as if they know that they'll get themselves out of whatever sticky situation they face. The language is similar to much of the readings from Part A: fairly casual, yet descriptive at the same time. That's the type of writing I strive for, and I definitely got some good insight from this unit as a whole. I breezed through the rest of the stories, but none of them had the same effect on me as that story did. For my story this week, I think I could write a few stories similar to these, but I'd like to throw a twist in the plot. I guess I'll have something to think about for tomorrow!

File:Josey Boy Scout Lodge South Elevation 2018.jpg
There's no way Lodge-Boy isn't a fan of these, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...