Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Reading Notes: Cherokee, Part A

Story source: Myths of the Cherokee by James Mooney (1900).

I was looking forward to this week of reading because I wanted to learn more about Cherokee culture, which is a part of my ancestry. One thing that quickly stood out to me was the prevalence of nature as a theme in the stories. While there are some instances where man plays a role, many of the tales revolve around animals, and the author personifies these creatures to make them more relatable to the audience. Some of the stories in this part of the unit reminded me of the creation of the world from the Bible, only a little more intricate. Rather than focusing on broad themes, these stories focused on detailed aspects of the world, such as pine trees or fire. This further emphasizes the theme I've noticed from this unit of glorifying nature as a whole. Many of these stories rely on description rather than dialogue, and that works for tales like these. For example, "The Moon and the Thunders" depicts a scene between the Sun and the Moon, but it's hard enough to imagine these human-like characters without that conversation. I think if I were to focus on an individual aspect of the stories or the unit as a whole, it could work to have a little more interaction between the characters.

The Moon and the Thunder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Twitter Lists

For this extra credit assignment, I chose to learn more about Twitter lists. As a journalism major, our use of social media is paramount to ...